There are lots of resources on the internet for quick self-care fixes. I've found that a lot of them just focus on relaxing or just treating yourself. I understand that we often struggle to refresh and taking dedicated time is important. I also understand that many people just need to relax a little, but what I really want to focus these self-care breaks on is taking care of you physical, mental, and emotional needs. Anna Akana said in one of her videos "Treat your body like it was your child's." And that encapsulates how I feel about self-care, it is doing the things that you should do, even though you don't want to. That said, here's my list of 10 minute (or less) self-care breaks:
1) Drink some water - dehydration is really bad for you, and it's a simple fix that can have significant affects on your mood and physical health.
2) Walk around the block - it doesn't have to be long or arduous. Just get outside, move your body, and breathe.
3) Stretch - whether you are taking a yoga class or just stretching at home, maintaining flexibility not only feels good, but it helps relieve pain points and keeps you more young and agile.
4) Take some deep breaths - breath in for a 5 count, hold for a 5 count, and breath out for a 5 count. When you start to feel stressed or anxious, just do this a few times.
5) Take a cold shower - This one is definitely not for everyone, but I find cold showers to be a great example of my concept of self-care. It doesn't sound fun. It's hard to even force your body to do it. But when you are finished, you feel invigorated and refreshed. It's almost like going through a trial first thing in the morning, when you get out, you feel like you can take on the whole world. (It is also great for your hair)
6) See a friend - Invite someone to Coffee or Lunch. Catch up and spend some quality time with someone you care about. Or just call them on the phone and chat.